Saturday, February 9, 2008

Home Body

Is that synonymous with lazy? Since moving to this house nearly two years ago, things have changed.
I used to hit the road every morning before 7 and was lucky to get to my home office by 2, just in time to do paper work for several hours. I averaged over 40,000 miles per year on my truck.
Now, I find it hard to convince myself to leave. I have a great office that I can do pretty much everything. My project managers handle 75% of the projects we have going. The price of gas makes it easy to talk myself into staying put.
I have grown to love Moody, and rarely leave. I eat lunch with "The Boys" from CPC most days. It's just easy to stay here and when I leave, I seem to rush to get back.
The last month or so has been really nice as my fishing schedule was over in early December, and won't start again till early March. In 2007, I bit off more than I thought with my fishing. I fished one trail that had 4 tourneys in the Spring and one in the Fall, fished as a co-angler on another trail that was on Sunday's, but only had 4 tourneys (so I thought), and I was the tournament director in my bass club. The club had 7 tournaments, plus 12 meetings. In one of those trails, I was fortunate enough to make the Nation Championship. Unfortunately, I was gone for 7 days for this event. All in all, I had 22 tournament days and over 50 days of pre-fishing.
By the time it was over, I was DONE! Ready for a rest. So, for the last few months, I have been laaazy, and I am having a hard time motivating myself to get going.
Now, the "Season" is about to start over. After the Feb. 23rd work day at CPC, I have two out of town tournaments in a row. Time to get back after it, long cold days on the water, early mornings and a lot of driving.
Don't we get that way about a lot of things we need to do? Going to church for worship, learning and fellowship is something I enjoy. But, deep down, I just want to stay home and do nothing!
Burt wrote about this in his blog a few weeks ago. We find every excuse in the book to NOT go to church. It is something I want to do, and enjoy doing, but Adam (sin nature) tries very hard to keep me from going.
What about prayer? I am very quick to pray when I have needs, or wants, but how often do I really talk to my Father when things are good?
What about reading God's word? I read every morning (box checked!), but how often do I study His word?
I am a weak, lazy individual that needs and appreciates the "nudging" of the Holy Spirit.

8 comments:

quinn said...

way to turn it around there at the end. i knew you had it in you.

by the way the word verification on this page is mfshizt. just sayin.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

i am very convicted by your post. how awesome is our Saviour, that He continues to pursue us when we turn away.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way. When I started staying home with Brandon I became a big ole' homebody. I found plenty of excuses before he came into the picture but now that he's here, there is a ton more waiting at the door. And as time marches on, I find it extremely difficult to get motivated. Like Kim said, this is a very convicting post.

Les said...

I think you're just lazy...

Malinor said...

well said,
I am a firm believer in ordinary means to extra-ordinary things. some would accuse me of being too much of a linear thinker, but sometimes the burden is on us to walk in faith. when we have an aspect of our lives that causes us to wander astray, over-commit ourselves or pre-occupy our minds it is our duty to conduct surgery and excise the tumor, lance the absess. I often battle with control and find myself in a handshaking contest with the right hand of God's justice. I want to let go of my life, but I just dont trust.
its hard stepping only in the pools of light that spill from the weak flame of our candle. we want to go faster, but in order that we are sure of our footing we must go slowly.

Malinor said...

this often tempts us to be in active or lazy with our spiritual disciplines, but what we seem to not realise is that our flame will only get brighter when we feed it. if all we worry with is protecting our flame, not letting it get blown out then we get a dimmer and dimmer light, our wick burns up and the flame gets smaller. it takes a dumping our our wax pool to get the flame vigorous again.
if we had in the first place sought to build a fire then we would continually feed the flame to the point that it is always igniting something else, someone else and growing. a growing fire is not scared of the wind, it thrives on it all the while getting brighter. shedding more light further allowing us to move to Christ faster.
-anonymous
this thing tells me that anonymous comments are not allowed, but I showed it! dxsfdkdn

Scott H said...

Wow, Evan went to the deep end of the thought pool!

Anonymous said...

Dude! I think Even needs to write a book!