Monday, February 11, 2008

Grace revealed through Hope

So, I have entered Blog world a month or so after the fact, but there are things worth repeating regarding Hope.

You may not have felt this way that fatefull Sunday, but you were better off hearing everything all at once. I am sure it was alot to swallow at one time, but I think it was for the best.
The days and nights following our "discovery"were more than a struggle. What you went through in moments took days and weeks for me. Much like you, I went through doubt first, hoping against hope that I just missed something legitimate. Then great hurt when the truth was revealed. Then anger as more was revealed. Then rage as more came to light. Satan was playing me pretty well!
Then, my old friend and accountability slavemaster (Milton) slapped the gospel on me. After confiding in him about all that had occured, he took minutes, no seconds to reach a point I had not reached in days of struggling with this. He said, "Scott, she needs Jesus right now. Something is going on with her, and we weren't there for her". WOW! I hadn't even considered that! All I could think about was the wrong that had been done and the trust that had been betrayed. (Gospel smack down). Who am I to judge what she had done? What have I done and do every day that my Father is betrayed by? God has done much more for me than I had ever done for Hope, yet I betray Him all the time! Hmmm. One thing Milton said that broke me, he said that "no matter what she had done, when God looks down on her from heaven, He sees a sinner, but not just a sinner, but one with the ritgheous blood of His Son covering her." (Gospel smack down II)
Our very wise Session was extremely quick to see grace in this as well. Yes, they understood and considered the discipline side of things thoroughly, but their first concern was Hope. While that meeting with the Session was painfull, tearfull and very uncomfortable, I really wish that every member of CPC had been there. God's grace and mercy flowed out of those men in an unbelievable way. I saw grown men tear up over their own sin. I saw righteous men beg Hope for forgiveness for not seeing her pain and not hearing her cries for help. I saw wisdom and love flowing freely. God's grace and the Gospel was being laid out.
What you heard that Sunday was all of it at once. You got to feel the doubt, hurt, anger, rage, and mercy in a span of one hour. Be glad! Rejoice that the Elders in our church were and are being led by the hand of God. They led us in understanding of the situation, and understanding of the Gospel. I have always had a great appreciation of these men, but ever more so, now. And they will be the firsts to tell you, it is NOT of themselves, God was and is working through them.
What was told of the situation that morning was all that anyone needs to know. Details are not important. She has repented and is working towards complete restoration. And we are making changes to keep anything like this from happening again.
It has been over a month, now, but we need to remind ourselves everyday of just how sinful we are, yet how wonderfull of a Saviour we have!
That Sunday, Grace was revealed through Hope.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well put. Thanks for the reminder. I love our church!

Brandon E said...

Hmm, you have a break from fishing (previous post) and have to deal with this all at the same time? You think someone was prepping you for something?

While the deacons are usually the target in silly jokes, and should be because ya'll are a goofy looking bunch, all of you do a great job. Your hard work and dedication is appreciated and I personally am glad that I have had an opportunity to get to know you.

Ok, back to normal. Good Christian men arent supposed to be emotional...

Scott H said...

We are making a spot for you next year!

Malinor said...

dont let Scott fool you, he did not catch those fish he is holding up (above) they were the bounty from the lake survey that our community paid southeastern pond mgt to do.
Scott just tagged along and held the few lunkers that they shocked up.

I am sorry I missed that sunday's service. I need grace in a bad way, I think i am in my current position just to learn failure. i take a deep breath and squeeze with all my might but justice never fails. and then there is me...-anonymous

Scott H said...

I never "said" I caught those fish!
Ask Q about that Sunday service, its all recorded on CD.

quinn said...

i have the cd's here at the church. let me know if you want a copy. couldn't get it all on one cd, but it's here if'n you want it.

Ginger said...

It was a beautiful picture of grace that I needed to see. It made me feel even closer to my church family.

Love "Gospel Smack Down"

4theluv said...

A quote that made me think of you after seeing your Zebra Boat on here:

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after.” - Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for all you do.

4theluv

MattD said...

As in all things we tend to forget and move on...it should be a lesson that there are others in our flock that may need comfort as well. Be attentive and don't overlook anyone. We all need support at one point or another.

Kimmipeach@gmail.com said...

very true, matt. you know, it's easy for us to be self-righteous and think that we would NEVER do something like that. I have found that God is very faithful to smack me in the face with my sin and say "oh really? well, what about...?" never say "i could never." you don't know where God will lead you for sanctification.