Monday, June 16, 2008

Dad

We all tend to take our fathers for granted, I know I did. He was a very hard working, loving and caring man. I never really noticed much of that while he was alive because I was wrapped up in my own life and just thought that was how all dads were.
Now that I have a teenager (officially today, Happy Birthday Clay!), I can see his deeds more clearly.
I got the opportunity to fish with a Bass Guide on Lake Guntersville last weekend. He was a great guide, but also a very interesting man. He is a Child Advocacy Counselor with SBC. Definately a job you have to be called for. He deals with and helps children from very bad homes. Listening to his stories of children from homes where the dad killed the mom and left 7 children to an Aunt with two sons with rape and murder charges against them. Children that were sexually abused for years and held hostage in their own homes. Children that have never known a normal, God-fearing home life. What a difficult ministry this man has, but he has been called by God and he loves those kids. Everything he makes from guiding goes to help his 30 kids scattered about the country. He has housed many of them in his some while trying to help them. Soon he will be leaving his job and selling everything to move to Illinois to adopt the 7 children mentioned above. Truelly an incarnational missionary.
His stories made me shutter to think of the "real world" that is out there and all the horrible conditions many children grow up in. It is hard for me to imagine such conditions. Why? Because God blessed me with a great, God-fearing, stable family. A family that always loved, always supported, always showed me Christ.
Thanks Dad and Mom for my childhood and for protecting me from the "Enemy"! Lord, help me to be that Dad to my son, and that husband to my wife!

To learn more about Troy Jens: http://www.castingforcrowns.org

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing. My roomate from Auburn worked at the Child Advocacy center in Opelika. She had a lots of stories very similar. It got to be too much for her and she left her job a few months ago. I would have a very difficult time separating work from my life but I guess when you work in that feild it becomes your life. Thank God for people who do it.

ChickenSlinger said...

Confession time. I've been secretly reading your blogs for awhile and I finally decided it was time to chime in. Since my little "injury setback", I've had a chance to get caught up on reading your latest. I don't want to get all sappy on you, but I feel the need to let you know how moved I have been by what I have seen God do in your life. Praise be to God that my failings as a brother have not stood in the way of His faithfulness. I have always been proud to call you my brother, and am so very thankful, as you said, that we were so blessed to have been raised in a Godly home. It humbles me beyond words when I consider God's grace in my life despite my desperately wicked heart and continuous failure. Thank you for challenging me spiritually by sharing your heart through these blogs. "I can only imagine" when we'll walk by Daddy's side. It's going to be a hoot. I know he's proud of the man you've become. I love you, bro.