Monday, March 2, 2009

Better Start


I have fished the Bassmaster's Weekend Angler Series for the last 2 seasons as a Co-Angler. In both seasons, they have started the year on Guntersville in February. That lake has owned me every time. I have managed to NOT catch a fish each time.

This year I decided to fish that trail on the "Pro" side as a boater. I had a friend that is real good on that lake go with me the week before the tournament and we caught nothing. I figured "here we go again"!

The tournament was Saturday and I pre-fished Thursday and Friday. Thursday was a better day, as I caught a 5 1/2 pounder and three other keepers on the lower end of the lake.

Friday was met with thunderstorms and lightning galore! We fished a different area and finally got on a pattern. [ For those non fishermen: a "pattern" is when you find a type of place, depth, cover that the fish are holding on, consistantly, NOT just a place where you caught a fish. It can be a more reliable way to catch fish in multiple areas.]

Fished as well as I ever had in this tournament. Still only managed 3 keepers out of a five fish limit, but one was this giant. It weighed 8.72 pounds! Good enough for Big Fish for the tournament.

Unfortunately, I needed two more fish to make my limit and that hurt. They paid 21 places on the "Pro" side and I finished 22nd! Oh well.

I went into this event just hoping and praying for one fish to weigh in, so I would say I was well blessed and got the Big Fish check which covered my expenses.

Maybe this will set the pace for the rest of the season.

2 comments:

j_webb said...

Whoa! I saw it on Brandon's phone the other night, that pic didn't do it justice. What a monster!

Anne Marie W. said...

So when's the Fish Fry? I'll make hush puppies!